Posts Tagged ‘California Healthy Workplace Advocates’
Tuesday, July 15th, 2014
WBI friend Lewis Maltby wrote convincingly in his book, Can They Do That?, that American workers have very few rights. Without a union bargained contract, all rights are owned by management unless state or federal laws provide specific protections. Among the industrialized nations (members of the OECD), US workers have the fewest rights.
Robert Fuller, another WBI friend, speaks and writes eloquently about somebodies and nobodys, the hierarchy in our lives. For him, the issue is rankism. It makes good sense in our nation of ever-expanding income inequality.
From the work of stress guru, Robert Sapolsky, Stanford University professor and researcher, we learn that simply organizing social groups in hiearchical ways with rank playing a role in how all resources are unevenly divided is stressful. Those dominated by others are doomed to lives of ongoing stress. Social subordination generates distress, that in turn, triggers major life-threatening diseases through disruption of the adrenocortical, cardiovascular, reproductive, immunological, and neurobiological systems (Sapolsky, 2005).
Workers bullied by higher ranking bosses (56% of all targets) will find it nearly impossible to avoid contact. That toxic contact is the exposure to stress that causes health harm.
I say all this to put into context the June 30, 2014 decisions by the U.S. Supreme Court (SCOTUS). By majority votes of the conservative-dominated court, the rights of company owners were expanded. The (chief justice) Roberts Court has never ruled against corporate interests.
The two cases decided upon were Sylvia Burwell, Secretary of HHS v. Hobby Lobby Stores, Inc. (13-354) and Conestoga Wood Specialties Corporation v. Sylvia Burwell, Secretary of HHS (13-356) — jointly dubbed the Hobby Lobby decision.
Tags: California Healthy Workplace Advocates, distress, Hobby Lobby, Lewis Maltby, Robert Fuller, Robert Sapolsky, SCOTUS, stress, US Supreme Court
Posted in Bullying-Related Research, Rulings by Courts, Social/Mgmt/Epid Sciences | No Archived Comments | Post A Comment (
Wednesday, July 24th, 2013
Workplace Bullying, Health and Safety
Saturday July 27 11:00 – 4:00 PM (Free)
ILWU Local 34 Hall
801 2nd St. next to AT&T Stadium, San Francisco
Registration Requested: Call 415-282-1908 or e-mail to email@example.com
Dr. Gary Namie, Director, WBI
Carrie Clark, California Healthy Workplace Advocates
Greg Sorozan, Massachusetts Healthy Workplace Advocates, NAGE-SEIU Natl VP
Stacie Plummer, City Of Richmond Library Worker
IFPTE Local 21 Steward
Brenda Barros, SEIU Local 1021 San Francisco General Hospital
Dr. Derek Kerr, SF General Hospital whistleblower
Dr. Larry Rose, former Director of the Cal Osha Medical Unit
Kathleen Carroll, attorney
Sponsors: Stop Workplace Bullying Group SWBG
Injured Workers National Network, IWNN
California Healthy Workplace Advocates
For information contact IWNN at (415) 282-1908.
There will be live streaming of this event on the internet. Watch this blog for details.
Tags: California Healthy Workplace Advocates, Carrie Clark, Gary Namie, laborfest, Unions, WBI, workplace bullying, Workplace Bullying Institute
Posted in Events & Appearances, Healthy Workplace Bill (U.S. campaign), WBI Education, Workplace Bullying Laws | No Archived Comments | Post A Comment (
Saturday, February 12th, 2011
• Esque Walker, TX State Coordinator appeared on KSAT-TV, San Antonio. Watch the You Tube clip.
These are the volunteers changing the social and political landscape in America. You could join them. Ask how.
Monday, November 1st, 2010
By Laura Casey, Contra Costa Times, Oct. 31, 2010
Kim is being stalked in the halls by her supervisor. Her every move is scrutinized, judged. Every day, she is berated with personal insults suggesting that she’s just not good enough to work anywhere. The yelling and unfair accusations do not simply make her hate coming to work. It has led to more serious health issues.
Tags: Bill Lepowsky, California Healthy Workplace Advocates, Contra Costa Times, Laura Casey, Michelle Smith, workplace bullying, Workplace Bullying Institute
Posted in Media About Bullying, WBI in the News | 13 Archived Comments | Post A Comment (
Thursday, October 21st, 2010
KCRA-TV in Sacramento does a great job covering the topic of workplace bullying in time for Freedom from Workplace Bullies Week. See their coverage below, which includes an interview with Dr. Gary Namie. The California Healthy Workplace Advocates (CHWA) hosted the public event with the Drs. Ruth and Gary Namie on Oct. 20 in Sacramento.
[youtube width="640" height="360"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzZij1q-ldw[/youtube]
Thursday, October 14th, 2010
• OCT. 19. Thanks to the Texas Healthy Workplace Advocates, El Paso Mayor John Cook and the City Council will proclaim on October 19, Freedom from Bullies at Work Week! If you live in Texas, thank the Mayor. If you want to help Texas enact the anti-bullying Healthy Workplace Bill, contact the TX State Coordinator.
• OCT. 19, 5 pm (central time) on Pattie Porter’s Texas Conflict Coach radio show, the story of Kevin Morrissey’s suicide in response to his prolonged mistreatment at the Univ. of Virginia. Thank you, Pattie!
• OCT. 19 Wisconsin State Rep. Kelda Roys (sponsor of the state’s first bill, AB 894 in 2010) will be interviewed by Madison NBC-TV 15 news anchor Carleen Wild about her work in support of the legislation and 2011 plans. Air time is not yet set. Track the Wisconsin Healthy Workplace Advocates group for the schedule. If you live in Wisconsin, contact the WI State Coordinator to volunteer to help.
• OCT. 19 & OCT. 20 The California Healthy Workplace Advocates host Workplace Bullying Institute founders giving a public seminar, doors open at 6 pm, talk is 7 to 9 pm. Oct. 19 they will be in South San Francisco. Oct. 20 they will be in Sacramento. Come meet the Namies and CHWA volunteers to learn about legislative plans for 2011. If you live in California, contact the CA State Coordinator to volunteer to help.
• OCT. 23-24 BPW Saskatoon, Saskatchewan hosts a special conference for the community, “Powerless to Powerful.” Several workshops and presenters are scheduled. Topics include workplace bullying, the Ruth and Gary Namie will present, too.
Tags: BPW Saskatoon, California Healthy Workplace Advocates, Freedom from workplace bullies week, Freedom Week, Gary Namie, Jessi Eden Brown, Pattie Porter, Powerless to powerful, Ruth Namie, Texas Healthy Workplace Advocates, Wisconsin Healthy Workplace Advocates, workplace bullying, Workplace Bullying Institute
Posted in Healthy Workplace Bill (U.S. campaign), Hear Ye! Hear Ye! 2 | 1 Archived Comment | Post A Comment (
Friday, October 8th, 2010
UPDATE: Thanks to everyone who attended the evening with Ruth and Gary Namie. We enjoyed meeting all of you!
To help celebrate Freedom Week 2010 in Northern California, spend
An Evening with Ruth and Gary Namie
Tuesday October 19, South San Francisco – Grosvenor Best Western Hotel
Wednesday October 20, Sacramento — Radisson Sacramento
Each night the doors open at 6 pm.
The Drs. Namie will lead a seminar from 7 to 9 pm covering.
• Updates on the newest science related to bullying
• Status of the workplace bullying movement begun in Benicia in ’97
• Employer responses to bullying
• Status of the law in various states
Afterwards, members of California Healthy Workplace Advocates (CHWA) will be present to describe the 2011 campaign to enact the anti-bullying Healthy Workplace Bill.
S. San Francisco hotel location: 380 S. Airport Blvd., SSF
Sacramento hotel location: 500 Leisure Lane, Sacramento
Tags: California Healthy Workplace Advocates, CHWA, Gary Namie, Healthy Workplace Bill, Ruth Namie, workplace bullying
Posted in Events & Appearances, Hear Ye! Hear Ye! 2 | 2 Archived Comments | Post A Comment (