Posts Tagged ‘Freedom Week’
Tuesday, October 22nd, 2013
As part of Freedom From Workplace Bullies Week, the WBI has been encouraging cities across the country to take a stand. So far over 200 have since 2011. We’ve created a gallery of proclamations to showcase their support. Thanks to all those who’ve participated.
Thursday, September 12th, 2013
Announcing the 2013 Workplace Bullying Institute Freedom from Workplace Bullies Week — October 20-26. Created to be a special time to try something different to stop workplace bullying for bullied targets, coworkers, family members, supervisors, managers, HR, executives, lawmakers, cities, counties and communities. Read our suggestions for activities.
Tags: bullies, Freedom from workplace bullies week, Freedom Week, Unions, workplace bullying, Workplace Bullying Institute
Posted in Events & Appearances, Freedom Week, Unions, WBI Education | 1 Archived Comment | Post A Comment (
Friday, November 9th, 2012
On Nov. 1, 2012, three women — Julie Berg, Barb Samarzia and Audra Lenzen — set up a table at the St. Louis County (Minnesota) Employers’ Health Fair at the Government Services Center declaring that Work Shouldn’t Hurt! They took a stand. They stood with WBI and made a Freedom Week statement to the community. They broke the silence! Congratulations ladies. Scroll down for pictures.
Thursday, September 27th, 2012
For Freedom Week this year, why not make a T-shirt to voice your support? We have iron-on transfers available for both white and dark, non-polyester cotton T-shirts. The artwork is identical for both. Application instructions are provided with the package. The transfer has the Freedom from Workplace Bullies Week logo and the shirt you create can be worn year after year.
$7.99 for the 8.5 x 11″ transfer designed for light-color cotton only
$8.99 for the 8.5 x 11″ transfer designed dark-color cotton only
NOTE: T-shirt not included!
Wednesday, October 19th, 2011
Memo to Executives: Let the Bully Go, Boost the Bottom Line
Bob is the proverbial bully (Bobette when a woman). He operates freely without risk of being punished or terminated. So, every week is Freedom Week for bullies. Since Bob is free 52 weeks a year, dear executive, please use this one week, Freedom from Workplace Bullies Week, to end your relationship with Bob that makes life miserable for everyone else except you and Bob. It will take courage, of course. Here’s why and how to do it.
Tuesday, October 18th, 2011
As of Oct. 25, Freedom From Workplace Bullies Week has been recognized by 40 cities, 2 counties, 1 university.
California cities: Los Angeles, Beverly Hills, Santa Monica, Santa Cruz, South Lake Tahoe, Culver City, Pittsburg, Antioch, Torrance, Burbank, Carson, Placerville, Palo Alto, and El Dorado County
Texas cities: El Paso, Corsicana, Longview, Killeen, Galveston, San Marcos, Sante Fe, San Antonio, Arlington, New Braunfels, Bedford, Bridgeport, Midland, Rockwall
Throughout Freedom Week, the Texas Healthy Workplace Advocates are hosting an informational table at the state capitol lobby in sight of all passing lawmakers.
Connecticut cities: New London, East Haven, Newtown, Milford, Torrington, Bethel,
Central Connecticut State University
An October 20 6:30-8:30 pm. presentation: “Is Connecticut Ready for Healthy Workplaces?: A Forum on Law, Psychology, and Society’s Response to Abusive Conduct in the Workplace.” Speakers include Tom Witt of New York Health Workplace Advocates, and Vicki J. Magley, Ph.D. Department of Psychology-University of Connecticut. Diloreto 001.
Ohio city: Steubenville
Virginia cities: Newport News, Portsmouth, Norfolk
West Virginia cities: Weirton, Morgantown
A lunchtime power point presentation “Workplace Bullying” by Staff Council member and West Virginia Healthy Workplace Bill State Coordinator Lana Cooke will be given for WVU Classified Staff from noon to 1 p.m. on the following dates: Oct. 17, 401 Marina Tower Conference Room; Oct., 19, Coliseum Jerry West Lounge; Oct. 20, 1 Waterfront Place Visitor’s Center/Theater 1st floor
Oct. 18: WVCUPA-HR Board at the fall WVCUPA-HR Conference, Stonewall Resort Conference Center
Take a moment to sign the Healthy Workplace Bill WV Online Petition
Washington county: Snohomish
Wisconsin city: LaCrosse
State Rep. Kelda Roys & State Sen. Spencer Coggs introduced the anti-bullying Healthy Workplace Bill in the Wisconsin legislature on Oct. 17.
Massachusetts: the HWB Coordinators are introducing new ways to get involved, including our all-new Street Teams, where you can help spread the word at other organizations’ meetings, 5ks, parades, and more. Get all the details at the MA Healthy Workplace Bill website.
Oregon: Celebrate Freedom from Workplace Bullies Week by attending 2 days of workshops in Portland. Dr. Denise Haugen, WBI Affiliate, will be presenting! Find more information at the CNRG website.
Monday, October 17th, 2011
Bullying at work is a dirty little secret. Though it occurs with epidemic frequency (experienced by 35% of all adult Americans), it is a silent epidemic because it is too rarely discussed. Why the silence?
- personal shame by targets (who would brag about being humiliated?)
– coworkers frozen by bullies into not helping their bullied colleagues
– executives covering up for bullies they sponsor/support
– bullying is the American style of managing
Over time, fear paralyzes us all. Overcoming the inertia of inaction is difficult. We know.
But the most successful personal change plans are the ones triggered by events that suggest karma is working — a sign from above, a coincidental omen. That event becomes the excuse, the rationale, for doing something out of the ordinary.
WBI’s Freedom from Workplace Bullies Week is the reason to change how you are dealing with your bullying situation.
Tags: Bully at Work, employment practices liability, EPLI, Freedom Week, Healthy workplace, HWB, Kelda Roys, Spencer Coggs, The Bully-Free Workplace, workplace bullying
Posted in Fairness & Social Justice Denied, Healthy Workplace Bill (U.S. campaign), Hear Ye! Hear Ye! 2 | 3 Archived Comments | Post A Comment (
Thursday, October 21st, 2010
KCRA-TV in Sacramento does a great job covering the topic of workplace bullying in time for Freedom from Workplace Bullies Week. See their coverage below, which includes an interview with Dr. Gary Namie. The California Healthy Workplace Advocates (CHWA) hosted the public event with the Drs. Ruth and Gary Namie on Oct. 20 in Sacramento.
[youtube width=”640″ height=”360″]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzZij1q-ldw[/youtube]
Thursday, October 14th, 2010
• OCT. 19. Thanks to the Texas Healthy Workplace Advocates, El Paso Mayor John Cook and the City Council will proclaim on October 19, Freedom from Bullies at Work Week! If you live in Texas, thank the Mayor. If you want to help Texas enact the anti-bullying Healthy Workplace Bill, contact the TX State Coordinator.
• OCT. 19, 5 pm (central time) on Pattie Porter’s Texas Conflict Coach radio show, the story of Kevin Morrissey’s suicide in response to his prolonged mistreatment at the Univ. of Virginia. Thank you, Pattie!
• OCT. 19 Wisconsin State Rep. Kelda Roys (sponsor of the state’s first bill, AB 894 in 2010) will be interviewed by Madison NBC-TV 15 news anchor Carleen Wild about her work in support of the legislation and 2011 plans. Air time is not yet set. Track the Wisconsin Healthy Workplace Advocates group for the schedule. If you live in Wisconsin, contact the WI State Coordinator to volunteer to help.
• OCT. 19 & OCT. 20 The California Healthy Workplace Advocates host Workplace Bullying Institute founders giving a public seminar, doors open at 6 pm, talk is 7 to 9 pm. Oct. 19 they will be in South San Francisco. Oct. 20 they will be in Sacramento. Come meet the Namies and CHWA volunteers to learn about legislative plans for 2011. If you live in California, contact the CA State Coordinator to volunteer to help.
• OCT. 23-24 BPW Saskatoon, Saskatchewan hosts a special conference for the community, “Powerless to Powerful.” Several workshops and presenters are scheduled. Topics include workplace bullying, the Ruth and Gary Namie will present, too.
Tags: BPW Saskatoon, California Healthy Workplace Advocates, Freedom from workplace bullies week, Freedom Week, Gary Namie, Jessi Eden Brown, Pattie Porter, Powerless to powerful, Ruth Namie, Texas Healthy Workplace Advocates, Wisconsin Healthy Workplace Advocates, workplace bullying, Workplace Bullying Institute
Posted in Healthy Workplace Bill (U.S. campaign), Hear Ye! Hear Ye! 2 | 1 Archived Comment | Post A Comment (
Wednesday, August 25th, 2010
MARK YOUR CALENDAR!!
The Saskatoon chapter of Business & Professional Women hosts the
Powerless to Powerful Conference
Empowering ourselves against workplace bullying
Saturday-Sunday October 23-24
Travelodge, 106 Circle Drive, Saskatoon
• Don Morgan, MLA, Minister of Labour Relations and Workplace Safety
• Peter J. Barnacle, Woloshyn & Co. Barristers, Labour & Employment specialist
• Dr. Ruth Namie & Dr. Gary Namie, Workplace Bullying Institute, presentations on Sat. Oct. 23
Ruth: (1) Impact of Bullying on Individuals, Family & Community; (2) Targets & Self-Defeating Strategies
Gary: (1) Identifying Bullying; (2) Converting Witnesses to Interveners; (3) Causes of Bullying in Societal & Organizational Traditions
• Shelle Rose Chavert & others
Online registration available here.