Posts Tagged ‘Ruth Namie’
Saturday, December 31st, 2011
One WBI goal is to educate everyone — the affected individuals, employers and lawmakers — about Workplace Bullying. Acknowledgment of its existence and preventability necessarily precedes corrective action. Our momentum accelerated in 2011, all thanks to new staff, new consultants and new State Coordinators who expanded our repertoire. What a year! Here’s the year-end review.
Tags: Dr. Gary Namie, Gary Namie, Jessi Eden Brown, Ruth Namie, Sean Lunsford, WBI, Workplace Bullying University
Posted in Fairness & Social Justice Denied, Healthy Workplace Bill (U.S. campaign) | 1 Archived Comment | Post A Comment (
Tuesday, November 22nd, 2011
As of Nov. 22, 2011, there are 12 states carrying 18 versions of our anti-bullying Healthy Workplace Bill sponsored by hundreds of state legislators of both political parties. You can see for yourself by visiting the website for the national Healthy Workplace Campaign. Learn about the bill here. We also address criticisms of the HWB.
Tags: Carrie Clark, David Yamada, Gary Namie, Healthy Workplace Bill, Ruth Namie, workplace bullying defined
Posted in Fairness & Social Justice Denied, Healthy Workplace Bill (U.S. campaign), Tutorials About Bullying | 10 Archived Comments | Post A Comment (
Tuesday, September 6th, 2011
Gary Namie (Ph.D., Social Psychology) and Ruth Namie (Ph.D., Clinical Psychology) started the U.S. workplace bullying movement in mid-1997 after Ruth’s personal experience at the hands of a tyrannical woman supervisor in a psychiatry clinic.
The Drs. Namie began the first and only U.S. research, education, advocacy and consulting organization — the Workplace Bullying Institute (WBI, workplacebullying.org) now in Bellingham, Washington. Their current books areThe Bullying-Free Workplace (2011, Wiley) for employers and The Bully At Work (2009, Sourcebooks) for bullied individuals. WBI regularly conducts research, including the scientific 2010 & 2007 U.S. Workplace Bullying Surveys and online large sample studies. As the go-to experts, WBI has been featured on U.S. and Canadian network and local TV, national and local newspapers, business magazines and radio, with nearly 1,000 interviews.
Tags: Bob Morris, Gary Namie, Healthy Workplace Bill, Jessi Eden Brown, Ruth Namie, The Bully-Free Workplace, workplace bullying
Posted in Fairness & Social Justice Denied, WBI in the News | 3 Archived Comments | Post A Comment (
Wednesday, June 1st, 2011
with The Bully-Free Workplace
Raising Employee Awareness DVD
with The Bully at Work
Videos can be purchased separately or together for a discounted price. A third option is to bundle one or both videos with the Namies' books -- The Bully-Free Workplace (for leaders and managers) and/or The Bully At Work (for individuals) for training participants.
Monday, May 23rd, 2011
The Bully-Free Workplace: Stop Jerks, Weasels & Snakes from Killing Your Organization can now be purchased online through the links provided at the book’s website page given below. This is the long-awaited (and our 3rd) book that describes what it takes to energize leaders, managers and champions to tackle bullying. It also describes the Namies’ process used as specialists in the consulting field they started in 1998. THIS IS THE BOOK YOU SLIP UNDER THE EXECUTIVE’S DOOR TO WAKE HIM OR HER UP!
Thursday, April 21st, 2011
Washington County native and his wife go after it with online effort
By Janice Crompton, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette: Thursday, April 21, 2011
When Tom Shannon accepted a job 15 years ago, he expected to raise his family and retire after a long, satisfying career.
But instead, the 51-year-old information technology specialist from Butler County found himself confronted with what he describes as an alcoholic, abusive supervisor who, he said, eventually drove him from his job — and nearly out of his mind.
Wednesday, April 6th, 2011
By Thomas Olson, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, April 6, 2011
Nancy Sadie of Ambridge is not easily intimidated, but a bully tested her limits in her last job.
A co-worker at the former Bellevue Suburban General Hospital where Sadie was a staff nurse from 2000 to 2003 frequently became confrontational, she said.
“She was really rude. She would bark at you,” said Sadie, 58, who recalled that when she returned to work after an excused two-hour absence for a friend’s funeral, the bully “went ballistic and chewed me out really good.”
There is no law — state or federal — against such conduct, legal experts say, giving victims little recourse other than to leave the job.
Thursday, October 21st, 2010
KCRA-TV in Sacramento does a great job covering the topic of workplace bullying in time for Freedom from Workplace Bullies Week. See their coverage below, which includes an interview with Dr. Gary Namie. The California Healthy Workplace Advocates (CHWA) hosted the public event with the Drs. Ruth and Gary Namie on Oct. 20 in Sacramento.
Thursday, October 14th, 2010
• OCT. 19. Thanks to the Texas Healthy Workplace Advocates, El Paso Mayor John Cook and the City Council will proclaim on October 19, Freedom from Bullies at Work Week! If you live in Texas, thank the Mayor. If you want to help Texas enact the anti-bullying Healthy Workplace Bill, contact the TX State Coordinator.
• OCT. 19, 5 pm (central time) on Pattie Porter’s Texas Conflict Coach radio show, the story of Kevin Morrissey’s suicide in response to his prolonged mistreatment at the Univ. of Virginia. Thank you, Pattie!
• OCT. 19 Wisconsin State Rep. Kelda Roys (sponsor of the state’s first bill, AB 894 in 2010) will be interviewed by Madison NBC-TV 15 news anchor Carleen Wild about her work in support of the legislation and 2011 plans. Air time is not yet set. Track the Wisconsin Healthy Workplace Advocates group for the schedule. If you live in Wisconsin, contact the WI State Coordinator to volunteer to help.
• OCT. 19 & OCT. 20 The California Healthy Workplace Advocates host Workplace Bullying Institute founders giving a public seminar, doors open at 6 pm, talk is 7 to 9 pm. Oct. 19 they will be in South San Francisco. Oct. 20 they will be in Sacramento. Come meet the Namies and CHWA volunteers to learn about legislative plans for 2011. If you live in California, contact the CA State Coordinator to volunteer to help.
• OCT. 23-24 BPW Saskatoon, Saskatchewan hosts a special conference for the community, “Powerless to Powerful.” Several workshops and presenters are scheduled. Topics include workplace bullying, the Ruth and Gary Namie will present, too.
Tags: BPW Saskatoon, California Healthy Workplace Advocates, Freedom from workplace bullies week, Freedom Week, Gary Namie, Jessi Eden Brown, Pattie Porter, Powerless to powerful, Ruth Namie, Texas Healthy Workplace Advocates, Wisconsin Healthy Workplace Advocates, workplace bullying, Workplace Bullying Institute
Posted in Healthy Workplace Bill (U.S. campaign), Hear Ye! Hear Ye! 2 | 1 Archived Comment | Post A Comment (
Friday, October 8th, 2010
UPDATE: Thanks to everyone who attended the evening with Ruth and Gary Namie. We enjoyed meeting all of you!
To help celebrate Freedom Week 2010 in Northern California, spend
An Evening with Ruth and Gary Namie
Tuesday October 19, South San Francisco – Grosvenor Best Western Hotel
Wednesday October 20, Sacramento — Radisson Sacramento
Each night the doors open at 6 pm.
The Drs. Namie will lead a seminar from 7 to 9 pm covering.
• Updates on the newest science related to bullying
• Status of the workplace bullying movement begun in Benicia in ’97
• Employer responses to bullying
• Status of the law in various states
Afterwards, members of California Healthy Workplace Advocates (CHWA) will be present to describe the 2011 campaign to enact the anti-bullying Healthy Workplace Bill.
S. San Francisco hotel location: 380 S. Airport Blvd., SSF
Sacramento hotel location: 500 Leisure Lane, Sacramento
Tags: California Healthy Workplace Advocates, CHWA, Gary Namie, Healthy Workplace Bill, Ruth Namie, workplace bullying
Posted in Events & Appearances, Hear Ye! Hear Ye! 2 | 2 Archived Comments | Post A Comment (